For all you moms out there, was it hard on you when your son or daughter went to their first day of school? For all of my kids it has been a little different. My first son was of course difficult because I didn't know what to expect and I questioned if he would be OK. As moms, I think that we are genetically engineered to worry about our children even at times when we truly know that it will be alright. And of course, low and behold, Dakota survived his first day and every day thereafter until graduation.
My following two boys didn't take as much of a toll on me because I was a learned veteran at that point; they go to school, learn, make friends, join sports, and of course there a few excursions along the journey, but they are doing fabulous. I think that it also help because their older brother assured them that school isn't a big, bad, scary place and that they would have fun. Having him has been a blessing with so many "first" obstacles.
Then comes Eva, the youngest. Eva just started school this year. Before she started school, I thought that it would be just like her brothers in that it would be just another step to take in growing up. Well, I thought wrong. As the time grew nearer to her first day, I began thinking about how she was my last one to have a first day of school. I felt that I was losing my baby and that this was the first step in letting go. Then I started thinking about what if she started crying when I took her to school and what I would do if that happened. Oh, the thoughts that were running through my head! I talked to her about it before the big day and she told me that she was excited and that she couldn't wait to go to school all day. She has a lot of friends that she has made in preschool and she couldn't wait to see them again. So needless to say, when we arrived at the school, she was so excited that she almost forgot to tell me goodbye and give me a kiss! I felt abandoned and used! Well, maybe not that but it almost made me sad that I didn't feel as important to her. She is still loving school and I hope that her ambition and drive continue for years to come!

Hi Chrystal. I am not a mother, but I am an auntie that is very close to her nephews and nieces, so I believe I have a slight glimpse of how it feels when your child goes off for their first day of school. I really like your comment on how mothers are just engineered to worry, even when deep downside they know everything will be okay. When I read this comment it makes me think of how clear of a sign of how much you love and care for your child. How true it is of going through an emotional stage as a parent when your first child goes off to first day of school and also when your last child does as well. I think these emotions mothers go through will cycle around again when their children graduate high school and take off for college. The poem you shared on a mother's 1st day of school prayer is very cute and true as well!
ReplyDelete